Saturday, December 30, 2006

Learnings from my Zambales Road Trip

List… list… list…

There’s much more on the advantage side when you have your own car when you travel. Like you get to hold of the time spent traveling and lesser stopovers, I guess. But with me who isn’t as privilege as some of you out there, commuting and traveling via bus isn’t as bad as others think. Perhaps I’m just used to it. Half my life I lived away from my family and ever since I learned to commute, I’d usually chose to go “my way” even if it means I have to commute. So here I share some things you learn/realize when you commute.

The whole stretch of my travel, I saw less and less of buildings and other concrete infrastractures. Well, only until I reached Subic/Olongapo area. So, what do you expect to see when traveling up north:

1.) Ricefields – as mentioned and seen photos in my previous blog entry
2.) National roads narrowing – from NLEX that can occupy almost 4 vehicles heading on one direction, you’ll end up roads that can only occupy 2 vehicles, one heading north and the other direction.
3.) No traffic – compared to Manila, it is much less of course! The bus has to stop once in a while to give way since the national roads are good only for 2 vehicles as mentioned previously or perhaps when a carabao or herds of cows are crossing the road.
4.) The sky – honestly, it’s been a while since I’ve seen different cloud formations, sun’s rays passing through the clouds and how clear and lovely the sky could be… *sniff*
5.) Barrios or Barangays named after all the saint you never thought existed – going backwards, Crystal Beach is in San Narciso, before that is San Antonio, prior to that is San Marcelino and in Castillejos, there’s San Jose and San Juan… just to name a few… and DON’T expect me to translate them in their English names. I don’t have any who those saints are!
6.) Commuters – in all forms and sizes… I don’t know if it’s just the holidays but living and working most of my life in Manila and seeing flocks of commuters, in the north multiply it by 3!
7.) Jose Rizal statue holding a book by his chest – to those who doesn’t know, Jose Rizal is still the country’s national hero and is said to be the young Filipinos “role-model” for his bravery and intelligence. That is why, he is placed in every front of a schoolyard even on provincial municipality! Well, it was said to be… perhaps next time (if I remember it) I should discuss the “other” J.P. Rizal most Filipino never knew of.
8.) All 4 and 2-legged farm/field animals you can think of –– and what could they be doing? Eating, sleeping, mad-bathing and even shitting. Hahaha! But one thing was odd about it is that, on the 2-legged creatures, I’ve seen some king fishers and a few herons but no chickens! Where have all the chickens (and roosters) have gone?!!!? Hello? Calling KFC?!

And who said one should sleep while traveling? I could have missed all the FREE entertainment if I’m dozing off. That’s just the 4-hours of traveling. Imagine what I could have seen if I had 6-8 hours of traveling headed for Ilocos? ;)

From the outside to the inside… In fairness, the Victory Liner bus I rode was really clean and decent. For a bus fare of P221.00 and aircon, it’s fair enough. But since you are commuting and still taking a “public” transportation, what shall you expect when you commute via aircon bus?

1.) Chatty people – the bus I rode had “Eat Bulaga” on. But the sound of the 2 ladies talking 2 seats away from me is quite loud, overpowering the TV. Thank God I have my iPod with me!
2.) Sleep-head commuter – the guy beside was, and good thing he isn’t snoring or else…
3.) Kids – all kinds of kids: cute one, cry-babies, etc. At least their with their moms or dads but still, some parents just can’t get hold of their children. One has to be very patient if you encounter annoying ones… or at least have some diversion not to notice them.
4.) Book-people – I assumed she might be a law or a med-student going back home. She was reading this think, hardbound book resting on her lap. Not unless she’s just proof-reading it? And a couple more ladies reading some romance novels.
5.) Barfing people – children or adults, either will still be the worst. It would definitely smell in the entire bus since it’s confined. Good thing the bus conductor immediately gave the grandfather plastic and a wet-rug with some bubbly solution to wiped the window and the area.

After tomorrow, 2006 is over and comes 2007. Some are making their list again of resolutions or upcoming plans next year while I did a different kind of list. Oh well, after the road trip, I think I’ll just expect a different me… or not?!

Thanks for sharing your time reading my blog. Hopefully next year, you’ll get more of happenings, realizations, rants and raves from yours truly, Nemcy. Ü

A blessed and peaceful new year to everyone!

No comments: